Hi, I am Anne Mirtschin a teacher at Hawkesdale P12 College, in country western Victoria, Australia. This is a small, rural school of 250 students and approximately 30 staff. The majority of students come to school on a bus and are culturally and geographically isolated. There is no mobile phone service at the school or where I live. I enjoy teaching and innovating with the use of technology and have been fortunate to win awards for the work I do. As I married a local farmer, I have taught here for more than 25 years and can be seen after school and on my holidays, helping my husband with sheep work. I am particularly passionate about:-
- immersion of technology into learning and eLearning
- rural education
- global education
What I teach: (See my class blog)
- 2007-10 Information Technology to years 2-12, accounting years 11 and 12.
- 2011: Years 9 to 12 Information Technology and Years 11-12 Accounting, including a virtual accounting student from Balmoral College
- Web conference coach 2011
- Co-organiser and moderator of two weekly webinars:- Tech Talk Tuesdays and eT@lking
- Local, national and global Presenter both face to face and virtual. See conference presentations and PD Sessions
- Ultranet lead user
- Participated in a partnership with Country Education Project and the University of Ballarat to trial a virtual teaching round practicum with three pre-service teachers. (2010)
- Moderate and organise Tech Talk Tuesdays webinars
- Co-organize and moderate eT@lking on a Wednesday evening.
- Welcoming Host for Classroom2.0
- Partner one day per week with Innovations and Next Practise, DEECD
- Australasia Mentoring Chair, Global Education Conference 2010
- Advisory Board Member for the flatclassroom projects.
- Writer for the “Kick Start Your Blog” Advanced Teacher Challenge 2011
My students and I love:-
- partnering and learning with global classes and schools
- being involved in global projects
- learning with each other
- immersing technology into our classes
See a 1 minute video, summarizing some of the exciting work in the classroom
- Innovator of the Month for April 2012, Innovate Here, DEECD
- ACCE Teacher/Educator of the Year 2012
- ICTEV Teacher/Educator of the Year 2012
- Victorian Information Technology Teachers Association (VITTA) Outstanding Secondary Teacher of the Year 2010
- Microsoft joint Innovative Teacher of the Year 2008 Victoria, Australia
- ICTEV Leader of the Year 2009
- Bailleu- Myer Rural Leadership Scholarship Winner 2009 ( Country Education Project)
- Australian Excellence in Teaching Award, 2009.
- Finalist in the Victorian Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) “most innovative curriculum awards” 2009 and “Outstanding Secondary Teacher Award 2010″.
- My family - four adult children (one in London, one in Sth Africa), two grandchildren.
Mentions made of our work
- Student/Teacher newsletter of the Victorian Education and Early Childhood Development, October 2008
- Australia and Korea -Partnership for the Future
- And the Walls Came Down – VIT publication on our trial virtual teaching round practicum in conjunction with CEP and the University of Ballarat
- Featured teacher Classroom2.0LIVE Jan 15th 2011
- Hawkesdale P12 College in Learning Impact Awards at the !DEAS 2008 conference
- Learning and Teaching with my students both face to face and virtual.
- Edublogs awards nomination and shortlisting for best teacher blog 2008 and 2010
- Sharing an Anniversary with the Edtech Crew podcast
- Storytelling with Shawn Callaghan in elluminate using my twitter story as a foundation.
- Presentation at the ILE Expo at Torquay