Hi, I am Anne Mirtschin a commerce and information technology teacher and ICT Co-ordinator at Hawkesdale P12 College, in country western Victoria, Australia. I am co-founder of the Australia eSeries, moderator of Tech Talk Tuesday, an Australian representative on the Global Education Conference leadership team and proud to be a Global Educator. I am proud to have received many awards for the innovative work that has been done in this field through the use of technology and have been asked to present at many conferences – locally, nationally and internationally.
Hawkesdale P12 College is a small, rural school of 250 students and approximately 30 staff. The majority of students come to school on a bus and are culturally and geographically isolated. There is no mobile phone service at the school or where I live. I enjoy teaching and innovating with the use of technology and have been fortunate to win awards for the work I do. As I married a local farmer, I have taught here for more than 25 years and can be seen after school and on my holidays, helping my husband with sheep work. I am particularly passionate about:-
- immersion of technology into learning and eLearning
- rural education
- global education and am a member of the Leadership Team for the amazing online annual Global Education Conference
What I teach: (See my class blog)
- 2014 ICT years 7-12, business management year 12 and accounting year 12
- 2013: ICT to years 3-12, business management to years 11 and 12
- 2012: ICT prep to year 12, accounting
- 2007-10 Information Technology to years 2-12, accounting years 11 and 12.
- 2011: Years 9 to 12 Information Technology and Years 11-12 Accounting, including a virtual accounting student from Balmoral College
- Leader of the Student Summit for the Flat Connections Conference, Sydney 2014
- Web conference coach 2011-14
- Co-organiser and moderator of two weekly webinars:- Tech Talk Tuesdays and eT@lking
- Local, national and global Presenter both face to face and virtual. See conference presentations and PD Sessions
- Advisory Board Member for the Global Education Conference 2011-13
- Facilitator of virtual participants, Flat Classroom Conference, Yokohama Long term participant in the Flat Classroom Projects
- Lead teacher Global Classroom Project
- Participated in a partnership with Country Education Project and the University of Ballarat to trial a virtual teaching round practicum with three pre-service teachers. (2010)
- Welcoming Host for Classroom2.0
- Partner one day per week with Innovations and Next Practise, DEECD
- Australasia Mentoring Chair, Global Education Conference 2010
- Advisory Board Member for the flatclassroom projects.
- Writer for the “Kick Start Your Blog” Advanced Teacher Challenge 2011
My students and I love:-
- partnering and learning with global classes and schools
- being involved in global projects
- learning with each other
- immersing technology into our classes
See a 1 minute video, summarizing some of the exciting work in the classroom
- Global Classroom Lead Teacher 2012, 2013, 2014
- Innovator of the Month for April 2012, Innovate Here, DEECD
- ACCE Teacher/Educator of the Year 2012
- ICTEV Teacher/Educator of the Year 2012
- Victorian Information Technology Teachers Association (VITTA) Outstanding Secondary Teacher of the Year 2010
- Microsoft joint Innovative Teacher of the Year 2008 Victoria, Australia
- ICTEV Leader of the Year 2009
- Bailleu- Myer Rural Leadership Scholarship Winner 2009 ( Country Education Project)
- Australian Excellence in Teaching Award, 2009.
- Finalist in the Victorian Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) “most innovative curriculum awards” 2009 and “Outstanding Secondary Teacher Award 2010”.
- My family – four adult children (one in London, one in Sth Africa), two grandchildren.
Mentions made of our work
- Student/Teacher newsletter of the Victorian Education and Early Childhood Development, October 2008
- Australia and Korea -Partnership for the Future
- And the Walls Came Down – VIT publication on our trial virtual teaching round practicum in conjunction with CEP and the University of Ballarat
- in the Top 100 Education Blogs Onalytica June 2013
- Featured teacher Classroom2.0LIVE Jan 15th 2011
- Hawkesdale P12 College in Learning Impact Awards at the !DEAS 2008 conference
- Learning and Teaching with my students both face to face and virtual.
- Edublogs awards nomination and shortlisting for best teacher blog 2008 and 2010
- Sharing an Anniversary with the Edtech Crew podcast
- Storytelling with Shawn Callaghan in elluminate using my twitter story as a foundation.
- Presentation at the ILE Expo at Torquay