A big thank you to Veronica Fitzgerald who so aptly put together some slides and some great discussion points on this topic. Veronica aptly led us through an intense discussion on this topic. Coach Carole also provided some resources and links and as usual, the participants were actively involved contributing their knowledge, ideas and opinions. Thanks everyone.
Here is a link to the recording.
From the chat came the following:-
From the chat
- Seven most useful new social media
- 21st Century Fluency
- Definition of Digital Citizenship
- 21st Century Digital Citizenship
- A digital citizen is responsible, ethical, resilient
- @jjash I think just citizenship is everywhere and shouldnt be labelled as digital its part of the total package of being a citizen. off line is the same as online
- young people feel freedom and anonymity when online and on mobile phones etc.
- people who were once isolated are no longer
- children are sequentially taught about citizenship in terms of family, friends, school, local community, state, national and global citizenship – but my god I am so constantly amazed at what children and people do online – especially in terms of thinking things are safer, more anonymous or factual than they are.
- protecting self, respecting others
- @jjash: At the cybersafety session in Bendigo they mentioned 3Rs to manage digital interactions relationships, reputations and resilency
- digital citizenship as literacy about wider global issues
- Interesting article by Doug Johnson, Mankato MN: Developing Ethical Behaviors in Students: What Schools Must Do
- @aaane http://www.doug-johnson.com/dougwri/developing-ethical-behaviors-in-students.html
- Australian teachers granted permission to use facebook in the classroom
- Diigo group for online safety
- Time to take the cyber out of bullying
- The grid
- Cyber citizen profile
- We had a year 10 student sacked from work experience after her employees read her facebook update yesterday😦
- One recent report I saw said that employers are now up to 80% for checking social sites for potential employees
- Facebook safety
- Stay smart online
- Being smart online diigo group
- @Angie: I think it has to be very embedded in education and in the home from the very beginning. It cannot be introduced to teenagers who think they already know it all (speaking from experience with one at home!)
- Where are you? Award winning video
- Keep safe
- Commonsense media
- Quest Atlantis: learning in citizenship in a virtual world