The two day annual Skypeathon Nov 28-29, is a great event encouraging all educators and classes to connect beyond their classrooms. Friendships can be formed that can lead onto ongoing projects and collaborative problem solving. The theme this year is Open Hearts Open Minds. This year’s theme encourages students to open their hearts and their mind to what’s possible and inspire them to dream big.
This year’s goal is to reach 10 million virtual miles. This event has been organised for the last two years and my classes will be part of it again this year. Despite the busy time of year as it is close to the end of our school year, it is always exciting to open up the classroom to the world and connect with others. The connections can be short or long. Some classes are sleeping over and skyping for 36 hours. There are teachers from many many countries all actively seeking partners to connect with. A good spot to find partners is on:
- Skype in the Classroom website – Mystery Skype (use the filter options to find the country/subject/age group of choice)
- Twitter – using the hashtag #skypeathon in the search bar
- See the images below
Ideas for connecting
- just say hello, share flags, time, weather etc
- students share their big dreams with each other
- share some objects reflecting culture
- play mystery skype or one of the other mystery type games
- find an expert to connect with
- take a virtual tour etc
Mystery Skype OneNote Book – full of resources for teachers
Twitter #skypeathon Follow @skypeclassroom
Are you going to be part of this wonderful adventure? What countries will you link up with? What do you have planned for the connection?
Do you have any questions, need help or advice or? Please add as a comment as I am one of the Skype Master Teachers and would love to help you.