Tonight, I presented for Eduwebinar in an online session on the topic of Digital Literacy, Skill Development and Curriculum Connections. This is a huge area for discussion, but demonstrates some of the literacies that I think are important.
See the presentation
Technology has the power to transform education. It is essential to bring it into the classroom to empower learning. Why?
- Enables students to become thinkers/learners/risk takers in a sheltered environment.
- Learn not to rely on the teacher…be accountable themselves…become independent!
- Teaches digital literacy.
- Valuable employable skills in a digital world are learnt –appropriate online behaviour, good digital citizenship, cybersafety, plagiarism, working with virtual teams, self discipline in a virtual world, digital and global entrepreneurship, globalization etc eg
- Broadens the horizons of many students as it exposes students to the world outside their city or country town.
- Fits in with Rural Education where students in small rural schools need no longer be disadvantaged by distance and isolation, as technology allows them to learn virtually and maintain their subject choices, allows eg LOTE (languages other than English) and other specialist subjects to be taught across schools by a virtual teacher.
- Allows a mobile learning environment – anywhere, anytime, anyhow! (See Does mLearning make a difference?)
- Inspires students to seek more from school.
- Gets kids to go to school!
What further reasons could you add? Do you think eLearning is essential for students?