The second challenge in the advanced Edublogs “Blogging with Students” challenged bloggers to write a post on “My Blog Rules”! Upon reflection here are the guidelines that I ask my students to follow.
- Enjoy blogging and the benefits it brings! Develop a great digital footprint!
- Use appropriate language at all times – no swearing, slang, words of dubious nature or double meanings. Show you are a good digital citizen
- Stay safe at all times: Keep your personal information private eg no last names, phone numbers, addresses etc
- Always use complete English ie no Instant Messaging (IM) or txt language. Online translators cannot translate IM.
- Use a spell checker.
- Global communication: remember different age groups and people from different cultures may read your blog. As your blogs are online, you may be writing for anyone and everyone around the globe!
- Take care with images:- do not identify any children, obtain permission to use others’ images, where possible take your own photos, make sure images are appropriate etc
- Always reply to any comments: read what commentor is blogging about, respond with a comment on their blog or email them, thank the commentor,ask them a question to keep the conversation going
- If in doubt, just do not do it! Once it is online it is can always be found somewhere online.
What have I missed? I need a 10th rule to round this off. What would you add? Have you set up a set of rules for your students when blogging? Do you think the same rules apply for both adults and students?