What a contrast these students face in getting to school each day and how fortunate I am to teach in Australia where education is a given right for students.
Today is the start of a new school year for government schools in Victoria, Australia. Teachers return today but students in my school only return on Thursday. Tomorrow has been set aside as a day dedicated to speaking with parents of students in Year 7 and Year 12. Some of the time will be spent in staff meetings, PLT groups and PD and some time will enable planning.
Students from years 7-12 in our school now bring their own technology. The school suggests a range of technology that does not include smart phones as a larger screen and soft keyboard is mandated. This year our school will use Compass as its education management provider. This means that class rolls will be marked electronically, our timetable and school calendar can be easily accessed and student misbehaviour can be easily reported and shared.That is where we will start and then gradually move over to some of its other uses. Start simple enables all teachers to come on board with confidence and relative ease.
What I need to do today to make sure that students can access technology:
- Make sure all students have logins to our school network, especially new students to our school.
- Check out the new study design for VCE Business Management for Units 1/2 and 3/4
- Set up MS 365 accounts for new students
- Ensure all students in years 7 to 10 have Global2 blogs.
- Find videos for introducing accounting, resources and other multi-media resources to engage students with from TES, pinterest, youtube, slideshare etc