Many people ask where they should go
- to start with global education or
- where to find global projects or
- how to make global connections.
The global skype-athon is a great way to start. This is a project that encourages people from across the world to connect beyond their classroom walls with other classes, teachers, community and global experts with the user friendly tool, skype. This tool is free and the event is free but the potential outcomes are rich for learning.
If interested, you will need to
- join the Microsoft Educator Community
- search through the Skype in Education community for connections or
- use the #skypeathon hashtag on twitter to find others to connect with.
- keep a record of your skype miles and tweet them out, again using the #skypeathon
All you need is:-
- internet connection
- a laptop or desktop computer with a webcamera and microphone
- preferably a white wall, board or whiteboard to project the image onto( but the laptop screen may be sufficient if a small group is involved)
- find a class or expert to connect
- add them as a contact in skype, using their skype username
- agree on a time (check the time zones if it is another country involved), discuss the content of the connection etc.
- Discuss appropriate netiquette with your students.
- The content of the connection.
The connection can be as long or as short as you like. Even 60 seconds can cover some learning. Mystery skype is always fun. There are many experts willing to come in virtually during the skypeathon. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
What did it look like last year? We connected with schools in India and the USA and were lucky enough to connect with Anthony Salcito. See
Are you going to be part of this project in 2016? What will you do, who will you connect with? What will you do to continue the collaboration?