School families have been asked to host visiting Chinese students from our sister school in Beijing. Many are reluctant and all are rather nervous. Our community is geographically and culturally isolated so people from different languages and cultures are rare.
Parents are concerned about the following:-
- What to feed their visitors? What will they eat and what should they cook?
- How will they communicate effectively?
- Will the students be bored?
- Where should they take the students?
- If they go to their room early, are they upset?
- How should they fill in the time after school and on the weekend?
- Most can only take a single student as they would not be able to transport them in their family car.
- Will they mind sharing a bedroom?
This certainly pushes many of us outside our comfort zone? How did it all turn out? Following are some comments from parents on our school Facebook page:
We experienced an amazing week both Max and Chen taught us so much we now have a greater understanding of their culture and country.
We had such a fantastic experience with Jing Jing staying with us. She is looking forward to seeing Chelsea again next month!