This was a topic for a 30 minute presentation that I made to Sheldon College, in Brisbane, Queensland, 1883 kms from me.
The presentation was made using skype and covered how to use skype, find contacts, advanced features and sample classroom uses including virtual guest speakers/experts, global connections, cultural experiences, virtual tours etc . Here is what was done:
- intitial contact made using emails
- test of skype connection earlier in the day between the school and me
- a quick run through of the proposed session with Vanessa the co-ordinator of the Professional Development Day to ensure it met their objectives and needs
- a back channel set up in todays meet for participants to introduce themselves (and for me to have some idea about the interests and needs of the audience)
- Chat messages to alert me to when they were ready for the presentation.
- Cabled my laptop in for best bandwidth
- Videoconference call made at the appointed time for the session
- Webcamera introduction
- Screen share from my end allowed me to share the powerpoint presentation with the remote location.
See the presentation:-
This took approximately 30 mins. Sound, video and audio were all good. The presentation was uploaded into docs.com for sharing and the link emailed through.