Today, marks the first day back for term 4 in Victorian schools in Australia. The pressure is on to prepare our senior students for their final VCE exams and set them up with organized revision activities.
Revision started in earnest and in a very traditional manner through reading and writing but then an aha moment reminded me that twitter might be useful, especially as the Business Management students need to look at the Management of Change. We stopped what we are doing and:
- Registered for twitter: Only 2 students were registered for twitter, so the rest registered. We discussed usernames, passwords and the nature of random follows and followers
- Used twitter as a search engine: Then searched for their chosen organisations to study in depth eg Australia Post and found this link Post Office faces Changes two tweets down on the timeline (very valuable for their Management of Change understanding)
— Australia Post (@auspost) October 6, 2014
- Searched for people or organisations to follow.
- I commenced a list for VCE Business Management based on their research and mine.
- Students followed me and subscribed to my list VCE Business Management (They can always unsubscribe and unfollow me when their study is completed)
From the Australia Post tweetfeed, we found more more great links for those who are using Australia Post as their organisation of choice. These appeared at the top of the timeline feed for today and give students a feel for the organisation so much more than they would get through static webpages and gives a deeper understanding of how large organisations work, especially with the advent of technology.
— Australia Post (@auspost) October 5, 2014
This tweet is great for their study of social responsibility
— Australia Post (@auspost) October 7, 2014
What else did we find? Other teachers of the subject sharing resources, advice etc Newspaper articles that have hints and tips for successful exam preparation and completion and this is just the beginning……. Do you think it will help them with exam revision and improved study score in exams?