I was proud to present for 30 minutes on the topic of “Amazing eClassrooms” at the recent #ITEC14 conference in Sydney at one of the most beautiful conference venues possible, The Sydney Opera House. See my presentation below or read the summary of it below that.
Hawkesdale P12 College, where I teach is a small, rural school, where innovative teachers have reached out to connect, communicate, collaborate and learn collectively, both locally and across the globe. Learning extends beyond the textbook and brings to life different cultures, religions, geography, ideas, ways of thinking.
This presentation will share classroom stories and personal experiences and illustrate how learning is becoming increasingly organic, collaborative, networked and beyond the classroom walls. These stories will share:-
- The benefits and value of virtual conferencing and its essential place in transforming the classroom as we know it.
- The innovative ways in which outside experts, classes and community can be virtually brought into the classroom. This includes authors, illustrators, virtual parades, learning share ‘n tell, student forums, virtual concerts etc using a range of tools and hardware including polycom videoconferencing equipment.
- Examples of amazing, ongoing connections and student outcomes including the extension to learning
- Some global projects
- The exciting use of videoconferencing eg skype, google hangouts and virtual classroom software such as blackboard collaborate to connect classrooms statewide, nationally and globally.
- Using virtual classrooms to connect Asian and Australian classes in real time.
- Uses for professional development and online meetings
- Hints and tips for effective and engaged learning and for overcoming challenges
- Where to find partners, resources etc