Students are taught how to create videos using MS LIVE Moviemaker in most ICT classes. The results can be fabulous and I have been looking for ways for students to share their videos on a blog post. Embedding the videos only seemed possible by uploading their videos to youtube, vimeo or a similar online video host, grabbing the resultant code and adding to the html code of the blog. As many students are too young to register themselves for such sites and as I queried the use of these sites for hosting the work of especially young students.
Year 9/10 and 7 students are creating “About Me” videos using only text. Here are their instructions:-
- Use MS Powerpoint to add text, colours etc, sharing what they like!
- Save the ppt as jpgs in file type,
- Add these images into MS Moviemaker.
- Add transitions
- Add music preferably from danosongs – royalty free music as long as his site is credited.
- Insert appropriate credits.
- Save as a movie
- Upload to your blog, under upload media
As our Education Department provides us with a blogging campus – global2 which is edublogs based, the students use edublogs. Previously students have uploaded the media which appears as a link. Visitors to the blog, then click on the link to watch the movie. To our delight, when students uploaded their videos, they could choose the embedded media player and were able to view the movie through the player on their blog. See some of the results:-