Year 9/10 games technology students from Hawkesdale P12 College travelled by but to Quantum Victoria to develop their skills in designing and creating games with MS Kodu . These students love to play games, but it is important that they look at creating and not just always consuming!
Here is what our day looked like. Students
- were introduced to the concept of programming and the need for following logical, precise steps. This was applied to their favourite games initially.
- were given an alienware laptop to work with and introduced to MS Kodu via a series of prescribed tutorials
- designed a game with pen and paper
- Developed their game
- Those who finished the game, tested it to ensure it played correctly and then had it evaluated by a peer, who played their game
- Saved their games on a common usb drive or emailed the game to themselves
Some chose to work as individuals and some as groups. Students enjoyed their day and liked working with MS Kodu. The games have been saved to their network folders and will continue to be work in progress. Students who have completed games will be challenged to add another level.
MS Kodu is relatively simple to work with, has good graphics and a great number of resources online. It is also on the student edustar image and therefore accessible on their netbooks and on our school computer network.