We are often asked what impact technology and going 1:1 has on our school. Each teaching staff members has a laptop and students from years 5 to 12 have netbooks. There is a bank of netbooks for grade prep to year 4 to use and borrow.
All teaching staff members use their laptops for:-
- Emails:- Most communication from leadership and administration is through email.
- Student reports: Student reports are completed electronically, using Markbook.
- Attendance records: The daily student attendance records are marked electronically by form teachers.
- Online research
Here are some comments heard:-
- ‘internet access is part of our teaching life!” It makes our classrooms come alive and brings reality to what students learn.
- “Do we shut the school down.” Guess it is not as serious as the toilets not working, or our water being contaminate but it is nearly…..
- Say a prayer, that we get it back on! Remember the good old days when we had computers and thought they were great….. .now they are nothing without the internet.
- “Feels just like when the power has gone off.”
- We are isolated and guess that is why we use the internet as we do – for networking, sharing, learning, resources etc.
- The home economics teacher was not able to get her students to look up the cuts of meat online, they had to go back to the ‘boring textbooks’ to look it up.
- The science teacher had a youtube video lined up to show the students studying geology the recent tsunami in Japan.
- The PE teacher relies heavily on the internet to help him plan his lessons.
- The music teacher had choir rehearsal with a youtube video lined up to provide the words, background music etc
- The IT classes just did not function!
- ….and the computer technicians? – They locked the door so we could not constantly badger and annoy them.
- Butchers paper, pencil cases and paper came out again.
- Staff looked for people to have a chat to.
- Some actually read the hard copy of the newspapers.
- Some decided to clean up their desks
- Started yard duty early as there were no other distractions!
- But most of the time we grizzled and groaned @ and 2.0 everyone who would listen!