Our guest presenter for “Preparing for a 1:1 Learning Environment – a Pedagogical View” was Helen Otway, Assistant Principal of Manor Lakes P-12/Specialist School. Helen generously shared the pedagogy surrounding their creation of the learning environments at their new school. Part of this environment was a laptop program for year 7s in 2009 which has now continued into a program for years 7 and 8 this year. Her professional presentation and engaging manner captured many complimentary remarks.
The link to the recording can be found here.
Our audience came from:
- Australia, USA, Hong Kong, Singapore and India.
- Many were prep to year 12 educators, including our global participants
- Teachers, educationalists, specialists, people on leave, retirees!
Comment of the session! One of our US participants set her alarm to get up in the early hours of the morning and her closing comment was :- “Thanks tons! Was definitely worth getting up in the middle of the night” The global conversation is extremely stimulating and it is fantastic to share and compare our learning environments.
- Helen speaking about the learning environments they wanted to create, how they captured those environments and how they connected with their community to ensure they involved them.
- The amazing discussion between the global participants comparing learning environments in each country.
Interesting links from the chat:-
- Pirate pad. – opensource instance of etherpad or Typewithme is another alternative to etherpad Word cloud creators: tagul (interactive) and tagxedo and wordle (creates fixed image)
- Dan Woodhouse LearnCentral webinair (link to recording) where a handicapped young adult presented the whole webinar using assistive technology.
- Chacha: the mobile search engine
- Linking Principles with Space
- Joyce and Showers document
- Walter McKenzie matches multiple intelligences with technology tools?
- Music is the universal language
- Vision software
- The 1to1 learning environment ning established by Helen Otway
- Peggy George: Are you using the transformative guidelines for fair use?
- Andrew Chiu 1: Has going 1-to-1 placed pressure / started a direction away from age-level groupings (grade levels) and more towards ability groupings (classes / courses with different age groups)?