In Victoria, Australia, our school follows the model of PoLT, Policies of Learning and Teaching. Curriculum bodies in each state in Australia and New Zealand have developted different sets of principles on what they believe is the essence of effective learning and teaching. My work with blogging, virtual classrooms, global projects and the use of other web2.0 tools in classroom use, can therefore be justified pedagogically by the following:-
As a teacher, I would like for my students
- to become confident, independent and self motivated
- take appropriate risks but learn from their experiences
- be safe from predators and other dangers
- enjoy learning about other cultures
- reflect an appreciation of different ways
- take responsibility for their learning
- encourage and support others
- experience a range of learning activities
As a teacher, I will
- use strategies that are flexible and responsive to the learning and thinking styles. needs, values and interests of individual learners.
- capitalise on student’s experience of a technology rich world.
- develop attitudes, knowledge, skills and processes which enable learners to contribute to and react to change within the community.
I would like to provide experiences that
- encourage and support learners to take responsibility for their learning
- reflect an appreciation of different view, opinions, values and beliefs
- morivate learners and promote enjoyment, achievement and satisfaction from learning
- reflect an appreciation of different ways and rates of learning
- use the school and wider community as contexts for learning
Foster classroom environments that:
- promote independence, interdependence and self motivation
- value effort, provide achievable but challenging epectations, build self-esteem and encourage learners to become responsible and independent
- provide opportunities for learners to take appropriate risks and learn from feedback