Out of the first #skype2learn chat came a discussion on sharing breakfasts successful linkups between countries, cultures etc using the web camera in skype.
This gave idea to a simple project using the #skype2learn hashtag together with #breakfastaroundworld hashtag, that would allow classes across the world the ability to access photos from those who live there for use in the normal studies.
About the project:
1. Take a picture of a typical breakfast either for you or others who live in your country. A mobile device is ideal!
2. Login to twitter
3. Write a tweet describing briefly what can be seen for breakfast, country you are from, add the hashtags #skype2learn #breakfastaroundworld upload your photo (by looking for the camera icon, clicking on it and exploring your computer for your photo.) Send the tweet.
4. To find the other photos that have been uploaded, look for the magnifying glass top right of twitter or search bar, type in #skype2learn and look for the breakfast photos (or search for #breakfastaroundworld). Shared, tweeted photos should display.
— Anne Mirtschin (@murcha) November 21, 2014
Breakfast pkl,Indonesia-ice coffee rice megono tempe plus salt egg #breakfastaroundworld#skype2learn@SkypeClassroom pic.twitter.com/Sw41eWQlEF
— endang (@IbuPalupi) November 24, 2014
— Mr C (@whosanktheboat) November 21, 2014
This could form the basis for a number of learning activities in class:
- Comparing breakfasts across cultures
- Exploring reasons for differences
- Discovering where countries are located
- Ask further questions of some of the tweet
- Add to the conversations
- Find others to connect with across the world
Arrange a skype linkup with others to actually show the breakfast, talk more about it and ask further questions of each other using the web camera.
What other learning outcomes might result? Did you write a blog pst or share online somewhere further details? If so please share the links below. Please join in this simple project.