There was a time when:-
- The world was flat
- but was then discovered as being round
- and now increasingly “flat” again as technology breaks down the barriers of hemispheres, oceanic and climatic divisions, time zones, festival seasons, communication, culture, language, ideologies, passions and religion.
There was a time ……. when I learnt about the world through a text book or through the knowledge or travel experiences of my family, teachers and friends. I thought that:-
- Christmas was celebrated by Christians across the world on the same day – 25th December
- New Year occurred for all on the 1st January each year
- We all used the same calendar year
- All countries experience four seasons
- School years started and finished on the same dates globally
- Education was a right that all should and do experience
- And so much more that this will require another post
Now, through an amazing global professional network that spans countries across the world from developed to developing countries, across hemispheres, time zones, geographical barriers, language difficulties, ideologies etc that my knowledge, understanding, perception and experience of the world is through the ‘eyes’, experiences, feelings and passions of those who live there. Empathy, tolerance, compassion and a deeper appreciation of what the world is about, why it is what it is and an ever increasing acceptance that the majority of global citizens want peace, happiness, a healthy world – a world featuring tolerance, empathy and generosity to those who have less.
And now my
- professional learning network
- knowledge is increasingly …….
To those who of you who have just celebrated New Year on the 1st Jan, the time when my country celebrates it – a happy and peaceful New Year to you. Looking forward to learning from and with you in 2013.