From the depths of winter, one of the busiest times on our farm with lambing in full swing and the closure of mid-year at my small rural school, I soon fly out to San Diego to attend ISTE 2012. Tis is appearing daunting for me with the prospect of mixing with 22,000 or more participants. Fortunately, there are many social networking tools that I can use to be as best prepared as possible and many wonderful sharing people out there! Here is what I have done:-
- Downloaded the conference app for my iPad
- Created a registered id so that I can add sessions that I want to attend conference planner
- Watched this great Orientation Tips introduction to ISTE
- Joined the ISTE Ning –the group for newcomers, the Aussies at ISTE group and other groups of personal interest. Liked the facebook page
- Watched the recording of the ISTE 2012 Newcomers webinar specially prepared for those who are new. Despite some difficulties with audio, this had so much excellent advice. See Advice for Newcomers
- Twitter: this has been the best sources of information. I use tweetdeck and have added four new columns – #iste12, #iste2012, #isteHSq – (a game that has been set up) and another to keep up to date with @isteconnects as this will be used to announce fun happenings such as treatups, SIG events, and playground activities By being involved in the online game I have made more valuable contacts.
Bookmarking with Diigo
- As recommendations come through twitter and blogs, I bookmark the urls in diigo for future reference.
eMail Lists There is some great advice and information from our Australian emailing list.
Apps for use at the conference:- Evernote, Tweetdeck, Trip It, Foursquare, Instagram, QRafter
Wanting to be involved in as much as possible, I hope to attend the
- SocialEdCon 2012 unconference on the Saturday afternoon, provided I can get there in time
- Attending the night basketball game
- Global Education Summit See the flyer
- Will hangout whenever possible in the bloggers’ café, the Newbie Lounge and the Social Butterfly Lounge for networking
- Signed up for the Edtech Karaoke event on June 26
Global Education Summit – will present and ignite session
Poster Session for the Flat Classroom Projects Tuesday 26th Table 13 from 10am -12noon together with other Flat Classroom Certified Teachers Sandy Wisneski, Kathy Scarpato, Cindy Shultz (possibly). Please come and say hello as I would love to meet you.
Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice.
Business Cards – Yikes! I forgot all about these, so am off to try and print some. What else have I forgotten? Please comment below.